ICHARIBA CHODEI – Immerse yourself in the Okinawa Karate Life
Hi, I’m James Pankiewicz, Matsubayashiryu karate practitioner on Okinawa, founder of The DOJO Bar and more recently the Asato Dojo. I have been living here in Okinawa for almost 10 years now enjoying the ‘Okinawa Karate Life’ – training, learning and living the traditional values of Okinawan karate. I know I’m very fortunate to be able to enjoy this and deeply believe in the benefits of sharing opportunities to learn in Okinawa with others from around the world. The DOJO Bar was established in this spirit and the international 100 Kata Challenge events I started in 2014 are a way for many thousands of practitioners worldwide to connect with Karate Day in Okinawa every year .
Now, I’m very pleased to announce a new seminar program in Okinawa designed to give you more than most regular seminars here. There are a variety of seminar opportunities in Okinawa every year but most only offer a short taster session with the Okinawan sensei. An hour, 2 hours, even 4 hours with a teacher is hardly enough for them to show anymore than the bare basics of their art. In addition time constraints and language barriers often result in almost no time to have any meaningful and developed dialogue with the teacher to understand their views on their art, their history, experience and philosophy. As a Japanese speaker I can tell you that your understanding of karate can be TRANSFORMED by just one good conversation with the right teacher.
The “Yuimaru Hakken” seminars start this year (2019). In Okinawan “Yuimaru” refers to the circle of the people, the connections between people and “Hakken” is discovery. We intend that this seminar program will give you the opportunity to discover the Okinawan fighting arts, get to know highly respected teachers and experience the culture of the Okinawan islands.
Each seminar is a 12 day program including 3 days of intensive study with each of 3 Okinawan teachers PLUS 3 days of additional activity days to discover more of exciting and beautiful Okinawa. This 3 x 3 day program will give you approximately 15-20 hours of instruction time with each teacher PLUS relaxed time to enjoy meals together with the teacher and other non-training activity. You will be accompanied from start to finish by a Japanese/English speaking experienced local karateka to provide interpretation and local guidance (usually that will be me, or one of my assistants). When possible you will be offered accommodation at the dojo too to maximise your time with each sensei. A typical daily program will include first light morning training on the beach or park, breakfast together, morning training at the dojo, afternoon rest time, evening training and dinner together.
You will stay not just in Naha but visit local dojo located around Okinawa island in a range of locations. Group size for each seminar will not exceed 18 participants (minimum of 9). Transportation will be provided.
Seminar dates – there are 2 seminars to choose from in 2019:
- October 28th to November 11th (the week following Karate Day) – Instructors: Arakaki Toshimitsu sensei, Higa Masaharu sensei, Yagi Isao sensei.
- Activity Days will include Karate History Tour, Beach BBQ, Snorkeling, Katsuren Castle and Hamahiga island visits
- December 21st to January 4th (2020). – Instructors: Nakasone Koichi sensei, Yagi Isao sensei, Gaja Takehiro sensei
- Activity Days will include Karate History Tour, Aquarium Park visit, Nakijin Castle site, Beach BBQ and snorkeling, visit to Peace Park memorial
Instructors List for 2019:
- Arakaki Toshimitsu sensei, Matsubayashi-ryu karate (Shorin-ryu) 10th dan (view )
- Higa Masaharu sensei, Myobukan karate (Shorin-ryu) 9th dan (view)
- Nakasone Koiichi sensei, Ryukyu Kingdon Suidi Bujitsu (Shuri-te) 9th dan (view)
- Yagi Isao sensei, Bu Mai Moide Motobu-ryu 9th dan (view)
- Gaja Takehiro sensei, Uechi-ryu karate, Matayoshi Kobudo 9th dan (view)
- …more instructors will be added including teachers of Gojuryu, Uechiryu and other schools of karate and kobudo
- James Pankiewicz
- Becka Tedder
Please complete the application form (below) and send us via email, and pay the 10,000 yen deposit to reserve your place. We reserve the right to decline your application and if we do so your deposit will be refunded in full. You are expected to participate in the whole training program (rest day activities are optional). Please note that this is intensive training and maybe physically demanding. You may sweat. A lot.
Total Cost per person per seminar – 295,000 Yen (Japanese)
Payable in 3 stages:
- Deposit – 10,000 yen – required to reserve your place.
- Second payment – 150,000 yen due by May 1st 2019.
- Third payment – 135,000 yen due by August 1st 2019.
Deposit is 100% refundable within 30 days of receipt. Payment may be made by Paypal or international bank transfer.
Please click the button below for a sample itinerary and daily seminar plan
Please click the button below to open the application form. Please complete and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading Yuimaru Hakken Application
Deposits and remaining seminar payments may be sent via Paypal.com to email@example.com .
Questions can sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. And please follow our Facebook page for updates (https://www.facebook.com/challengeokinawa/)